Light and refreshing, full of prebiotic fiber, and quick to make, broccoli and white bean soup is a warm bowl of creaminess the whole family will enjoy. This soup is delightfully creamy yet contains no dairy. My trick to making dairy-free creamy soups is to include a starchy vegetable such as potatoes or white beans, and puree a portion of the soup base.
Broccoli is considered to be a prebiotic food along with garlic and onion. Legumes (such as beans) are also a high fiber prebiotic food which makes this combination a super power for digestive health. Prebiotic foods work synergistically with probiotics to maintain a diverse, healthy supply of gut flora (good bacteria) and are incredibly important for your overall wellbeing.
Clean eating, for me, includes cooking with a no-waste approach whenever I can. The base of this soup uses the stem of the broccoli as well as the florets for colorful flavor so nothing is wasted. Less food waste in the kitchen equates to a lower cost per plate. This budget friendly meal can be made for well under two dollars per serving.
Broccoli and White Bean Soup
Calories 362, Protein 26g, Carbs 52g, Fat 5g [Photo credit: Kari Lund]
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 small heads of broccoli florets, stem finely diced, chopped and set aside
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste (this will depend on how salty your broth is and your personal tastes)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cans white beans (northern or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- In a stockpot, sauté the broccoli stems, onion, and garlic until the onion begins to become translucent, 5-10 minutes.
- Add broth and spices and boil until broccoli stems are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add one can of the beans to the soup base and pureé with an immersion blender. Alternately, pour the soup contents (carefully) into a blender and pureé until smooth. Return pureé back to the soup pot.
- Add the remaining can of beans and the broccoli florets to the pureéd base and simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make more clean fuel: